Fifty-nine concrete contractors failed during 1957 with losses to creditors of 1,858,000 dollars according to a recent study of Dun and Bradstreet. This represented an increase of 26 percent in numbers compared to the 47 failures reported in 1956 and an increase of 5 percent in creditors' losses compared to 1956's reported 1,767,000 dollars. What is the cause of a business failure? One pattern has recurred consistently over the years in Dun and Bradstreet's studies into the causes of bankruptcies involving losses to creditors. A failure can be traced in most instances directly to a clearly idenifiable human weakness on the part of the people running the business. This human failure may be in judgement, personality, decision or know-how. The number of concrete contractors that failed in 1957 is too small in itself to break down elaborately, but a study of the causes of failures among all construction companies indicates danger signals that concrete constructors may use to check their operations. Of the 2,105 construction failures, including concrete contractors, for the year 1957, only 124 or 5.8 percent could be explained by such obvious circumstances as neglect, fraud, or disaster. Of the remaining 1,981 or 94.2 percent, the evident causes all fell into the clear-cut category of management failures. Incompetence accounted for 818 failures; unbalanced experience was the cause of 510 failures; lack of managerial experience was at fault in 454 failures; and lack of experience in the line was the underlying cause for 199 failures. Of course, human failure is difficult to pin down statistically. Yet this is a pattern that has turned up year after year in Dun and Bradstreet's failure studies. In indicates that it is a businessperson's own ability which counts most in a successful operation.