Six cement plants received special recognition for their commitment to improving the environment and their communities at the Eighth Annual Cement Industry Environment and Energy Awards, presented by Portland Cement Association (PCA) and Cement Americas magazine at PCA's Spring Meeting in Chicago, April 28, 2009.
The awards honor individual cement facilities that exemplify the spirit of continuous environmental improvement and support this spirit with action. These plants went beyond government regulations and local laws to ensure that their processes and policies contributed to making their communities better places to live and work.
"Minimizing the environment impact of its plants and making their local communities better places are top priorities for cement manufacturers," said Brian McCarthy, PCA president and CEO. "The actions taken by these plants and many others are at the fore-front of manufacturing technology and illustrate the cement industry's commitment to produce a superior product while continuously challenging policies and procedures"
Six categories recognized plants throughout the United State (listed by category, company, and plant location):
- Overall Environmental Excellence: Titan America LLC/Roanoke Cement Company, Troutville, Va.
- Outreach: Holcim (US) Inc., Theodore, Ala.
- Environmental Performance: Holcim (US) Inc., Holly Hill, S.C.
- Land Stewardship: CEMEX, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Innovation: Buzzi Unicem USA, Greencastle, Ind.
- Energy Efficiency: California Portland Cement Company, Mojave, Calif.
Twenty-five cement plants in the United States and Canada were nominated for the awards.