Firing an employee for any reason or no reason at all can land your company in court. In today's lawsuits for wrongful discharge, documentation of employee performance is often the key in determining who wins a suit. The documentation must support the discharge without contradicting performance reviews or being discriminatory. Follow these guidelines for documenting employee performance:
- When in doubt, write it down.
- Be consistent in what and how you document.
- Be clear about your purpose.
- Be factual and accurate.
- Be complete but to the point.
- Be reasonable and choose your words carefully.