Cat phones has released the Cat S40 rugged smartphone, a tough, durable Android device that delivers on both performance and design. Developed to appeal to the growing rugged smartphone market, which saw over 10 million units sold globally in 2014, the S40 is supported by most major U.S. cellular service providers, including T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless.
“As our dependence on smartphones grows for everything from exchanging information with colleagues to hailing cabs, they take a serious beating,” said Oliver Schulte, chief executive officer of Bullitt Mobile. “Too many people – from the average consumer to the 85 million people working in construction globally – are left out-of-pocket due to damaged smartphones. With the refined, rugged design of the S40 we are able to offer a device that looks sleek, runs the latest version of Android, and provides the levels of protection needed by those who work outdoors and in challenging environments.”
In a recent Cat phones sponsored-survey of smartphone users, 80 percent of respondents admitted they damaged a handset in the last five years. Half of the participants had cracked or shattered the display, and just less than half had damaged a phone by accidentally dropping or immersing it in water. About one third of users had components, covers or other parts of their devices break off, typically when dropped.*
Separately, focus groups with professional tradesmen and outdoor workers emphasized that damaging handsets in demanding work environments is a common problem. More than half of those surveyed cracked or broke their phone screen. The perceived lack of attractive, rugged alternatives was a key reason for the use of unsuitable devices.
Stand-out features of the S40 include:
- Drop tested up to 5.9 feet onto concrete
- Powered by a quad-core 1.1GHz Snapdragon 210 processor and 1GB of RAM
- Runs on Android 5.1 Lollipop
- IP68 and exceeds Mil-Spec 810G – Water, Dust and Shock Proof
- Super Bright Display capable of being read in direct sunlight
- Large Capacity Battery
- Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Glove-On Working Technology
- Wet-Finger Tracking Technology
- Waterproof warning sensors lets user know when the phone isn’t waterproof (and shows animation of how to correct this)
- Dedicated app store featuring the latest apps relevant to outdoor working and lifestyles (as well as full access to Google Play)
- Own range of Cat branded rugged accessories
The device retails at $399.00 and is available through Quality One Wireless and cat phones.