UC Berkeley Concrete Canoe Champs
Credit: Gary Tramontina/ASCE
The University of California, Berkeley, took home the “America's Cup of Civil Engineering” last month at the American Society of Civil Engineers' (ASCE) 22nd Annual National Concrete Canoe Competition. With a 230-pound, 20-foot-long canoe named the Bear Area, the team defeated 21 other schools.
The race counted toward 25% of the teams' overall score. The remaining 75% was based on a technical design paper, a formal oral presentation, and the final racing canoe and project display, which were scored on aesthetics and visual presentation.
The National Concrete Canoe Competition is organized by the ASCE and is funded by the American Concrete Institute; Baker Concrete Construction; World of Concrete; and Holcim (U.S.) Inc. For more information, visit www.concretecanoe.asce.org.2009 Decorative Project of the Year
CONCRETE CONSTGRUCTION created this award to honor the country's best projects, with one as the overall Decorative Concrete Project of the Year.
Projects must be completed between Nov. 1, 2008, and July 1, 2009, to be eligible. Entry packages must be received by Aug. 3, 2009.GreenSite Project of the Year
Do you adhere to sustainable construction methods? The editors of CONCRETE CONSTRUCTION and THE CONCRETE PRODUCER will recognize the concrete community's innovative contributions to green building.
Concrete products must play a significant role of the project, but the sustainable element is not limited to the materials.