We have sometimes found help for some of our construction problems by talking to someone at a nearby research institute or university. Problems sometimes arise, however, that are outside the realm of their activities. Is there any catalog of research work being conducted in this country? It might sometimes be a guide to help on unusual problems.
The Research Division of the American Institute of Architects has recently inaugurated a new information service known as "Research Switchboard." It is designed to help architects identify and locate researchers working on problems in diverse fields. By calling 202/785-7353 in Washington, D.C. it is possible to get the names, addresses and sometimes the current projects of researchers. There is no fee, but the service is limited to members of the American Institute of Architects. The American Concrete Institute publishes a booklet every two years called "Research in Progress," which lists research projects on plain, reinforced and prestressed concrete in progress throughout the world. The 1970-71 edition lists 329 organizations, most of which have a number of individual projects. It is available for $10 from the American Concrete Institute, Box 19150, Redford Station, Detroit, Michigan 48219.