One hundred years ago, a Bellefontaine, Ohio, chemist named George W. Bartholomew attempted to solve the dust and mud problem surrounding the local courthouse. He had experimented with local marl and clay to produce cement and thought he could solve the problems by paving with artificial stone, or concrete. He talked the town fathers into letting him lay an 8-foot strip of concrete next to the hitching posts. His experiment was successful, and two years later he was allowed to pave around the square. The pleased citizens and business owners then had the entire four blocks surrounding the courthouse paved with concrete in 1893.
The concrete performed well, most of it testing at 8000-psi compressive strength. Part of the original 8-foot-wide pavement on Court Avenue is still in use today. It is this section of concrete that was commemorated October 12, 1991, by the city of Bellefontaine and concrete industry groups.