A crumbling structure on the south shore of Long Island has been restored in response to public demand, using state-of-the-art concrete technology. The historic Fire Island Lighthouse was built of brick in 1858. The original brick construction was covered with a protective portland cement wash in 1871 and again in 1876. Then in 1912 a reinforced concrete coating was applied. The badly deteriorated 1912 coating first had to be removed entirely. Then cadmium plated anchors were set with epoxy resin grout in the brick structure to support reinforcement for a new protective shell. Workers tied epoxy coated rebars and galvanized welded wire fabric to the anchors to reinforce the new concrete layer. Then a 2- to 4-inch coating of steel-fiber-reinforced dry mix shotcrete was applied.