The Tilt-Up Concrete Association (TCA)—a non-profit international organization that serves to expand and improve the use of Tilt-Up as the preferred construction method—as announced the election of new board members and the slate of officers for the 2009 year.
Jim MacKinnon, preconstruction manager at Saunders Construction Inc. (Centennial, Colo.) was elected president of the TCA Board of Directors at its annual meeting on Feb. 5. MacKinnon has been a member of the construction industry since 1991 and has spent a significant amount of effort encouraging the use of Tilt-Up in expanding market areas such as education, medical, retail and office development.
Other officers serving the Board for 2009 are:
- President-elect Jimmie Ballard of CMC Construction Services (Houston, Texas)
- Vice-president/secretary Ed McGuire of Bob Moore Construction (Arlington, Texas)
- Treasurer Glenn Doncaster of Citadel Contractors, Inc. (Raleigh, N.C.)
- Past-president Alan Wilson, AIA of The Haskell Company (Jacksonville, Fla.)
Two members of the Board re-elected for an additional term include:
- Clay Fischer of Woodland Construction Company (Jupiter, Fla.)
- Joe Steinbicker, P.E., of Steinbicker & Associates Inc. (Dayton, Ohio)
This year also marked the formal implementation of the new TCA Global Associate's Council, a body made up of one voting seat per Global Associate member. This Council is a representative entity of the entire TCA Global Associate membership body.
According to the by-laws now established, this Council is responsible for all related activities and directions pertaining to the interests of the supplier and manufacturer members of the Association. The goal of the Council is to help promote the interests and expertise of National Associate and Local Associate members of the TCA while benefitting the overall goals of the Association.
Four seats on the TCA Board of Directors are reserved for representatives selected at-large from this membership body. As Chair of the Global Associate Council and President-Elect for the TCA, Jimmie Ballard will hold one of these seats. The remaining three seats were determined through Council election and include:
- 3-year term: Kim Corwin of A.H. Harris & Sons (Newington, Conn.)
- 2-year term: Tom Stecker of Composite Technologies Corporation (Boone, Iowa)
- 1-year term: Mike Wolstenholme of Meadow Burke (Chesterfield, Va.)
Those continuing service on the Board are:
- David Tomasula, P.E., of CON/STEEL Tilt-Up Systems (Dayton, Ohio)
- Laurence Smith of J.W. Lindsay Enterprises, Ltd. (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada)
- Shawn Hickey of SiteCast Construction Corp. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)
- Glen Stephens of SAA Architecture (Laurel, Md. and Charlotte, N.C.)
- Philip Kopf, P.E., of The Kopf Consulting Group, Inc. (Atlanta, Ga)
In other business, TCA announced its 2009 Tilt-Up Achievement Award winners, recipients of the Peter Courtois Memorial, Robert Aiken Innovation, Murray Parker Memorial and Irving Gill Distinguished Architect awards during the annual business meeting. Detailed information on the award winners and copies of the meeting minutes are available through TCA by calling 319-895-6911 or visiting www.tilt-up.org.