In high-rise construction what is the best approach to keeping formwork costs down?
The two most important rules in any kind of formwork design are: (1) use standard form sizes and materials, (2) achieve maximum reuse of the forms. It could be noted also that 90 percent of the framing cost is for the floor systems, with columns accounting for the remaining 10 percent, so it is most important to keep costs down for the floors. Roughly 40 percent of the total cost of the floor system is for the formwork for those built with pan joists, waffle slabs or flat slabs; it may be closer to 30 percent for flat plates.