The ready mixed concrete business used to be one in which many contractors only had to wait for the phone to ring. The problem now is that in many areas the phone quit ringing. Other products were introduced with strong marketing and sales programs. What is the answer? Ready mix producers must work more closely with contractors and specification writers to produce the high quality and durability that sets the concrete product above the others.
The ready mix producer must understand the rules under which he operates. A ready mixed concrete producer must be aware of the following ASTM regulations as they apply to his business:
- ASTM C 33: Specification for Concrete Aggregate
- ASTM C 31: Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
- ASTM C 94: Specification for Ready Mixed Concrete
- ASTM C 143: Test for Slump of Portland Cement Concrete
- ASTM C 150: Specification for Portland Cement
- ASTM C 172: Sampling Fresh Concrete
- ASTM C 231: Test for Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- ASTM C 494: Specification for Chemical Admixtures for Concrete
Armed with this knowledge, what should the ready mix producer do? He should open lines of communication to develop mutual respect among owner, designer, contractor, testing lab, and ready mix producer.