Although mid-range water reducers, like standard water-reducing admixtures, improve concrete strength by reducing the water cement ratio and enhancing hydration, they also provide the following benefits:
- More predictable and consistent set times
- Ability to obtain needed slump without spotty setting problems
- Improved workability at a given slump
- Improved surface slickness, which results in easier finishing and better concrete surfaces
- Faster pumping and placement
Mid-range water-reduced concrete is suitable for many applications, particularly slabs on grade, such as driveways and sidewalks, and other types of flatwork. Its adjustable slump and surface slickness minimize time delays on projects where placement is difficult or pumping is necessary. The tendency of mid-range water-reduced concrete surfaces to close easily also makes the admixture well-suited for extruded concrete, slip-form work, and roller-compacted concrete pavements.