The 6,500 square-foot, $3 million project represents a sensitive yet raw reworking of the college’s historic 1925 brick steam plant, designed by the venerable firm, McKim Mead & White.
Shaped with input from the student body, the new facility fills a pressing need on the campus, which had little space devoted to its uses before.
Located on the east side of campus, the Powerhouse is adjacent to a new residential quadrangle now in the planning stages.
Contemporary design elements were integrated within a robust framework of historic preservation to create the new facility.
A strong new landscape concept marries the interior to a paved exterior terrace with natural amphitheater seating accommodating outdoor events and spill-over from indoor social activities.
Novel approaches to natural ventilation and waste heat recovery from existing utilities were incorporated.
Reconfigured, the Powerhouse now accommodates performances, dances, parties, coffee houses, dinners, speakers, farmers’ markets, and food truck nights. Lighting and sound systems with flexible furniture concepts support this broad range of activities.