The Concrete Producer and Concrete Construction magazines selected projects in eight categories for its Second Annual GreenSite Awards. The projects best exemplify the concrete production industry's contribution to sustainable construction.
Among the projects chosen were a fine arts center in Illinois, an office tower in Toronto, Canada, a parking lot in Glendale, Ariz., a home to a science academy in San Francisco, a multi-use high-rise in Pittsburgh, and a residence in Wilmington, N.C. Many of the winners already have been certified as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) projects by the U.S. Green Building Council.
In their submissions, producers and contractors demonstrated how they help these projects' owners and engineers qualify for the important designation by using a variety of sustainable construction methods and materials. For example, the winning projects used recycled materials such as fly ash, insulating concrete forms, pervious concrete, and regionally selected aggregate supplies.
The winning projects will be featured in the November-December 2009 issue of The Concrete Producer and the November 2009 issue of Concrete Construction. GreenSite is a cooperative venture between the magazines and Hanley Wood's World of Concrete trade show, which takes place Feb. 2-5 in Las Vegas.
The projects will be displayed at World of Concrete's GreenSite Luncheon and Forum on Feb. 4. The event will highlight how concrete contractors have benefited from sustainable construction.
World of Concrete attendees will also have a chance to visit products, services, and technologies in a special GreenSite exhibit on the show floor.
The winning 2009 GreenSite projects are:
- Landscaping: The Harold D. Rider Family Media, Science & Fine Arts Center, Elgin Academy, Elgin, Ill. CC and TCP winner
- Commercial: Molin Concrete Products Design Building, Lino Lakes, Minn. TCP
- High-rise: Bay Adelaide Centre Phase I, Toronto, Ontario TCP
- Industrial: High Concrete Maintenance Building, Denver, Pa. TCP and CC
- Transportation: Glendale Park & Ride, Glendale, Ariz. TCP and CC
- Institutional: California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco TCP
- Multifamily: The Encore on 7th, Pittsburgh TCP
- Residential: The Primrose at Landfall, Wilmington, N.C. TCP