In 1938, Dr. Ludd Spivey, president of Florida Southern College, commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to produce a master plan for the school's lakeside campus. Situated on 100 acres in Lakeland, Fla., Wright set out to design a truly American campus.
A total of 12 Wright-designed structures were built over the next 20 years. The construction materials chosen by Wright for the buildings consist primarily of tan-colored, reinforced concrete and specially designed concrete blocks. The contrast between smooth, textured, and perforated block, and the use of multicolored glass inset into the block, are important components of the design.