The Medical Education Center at Harvard University is a new building that completes a quadrangle started in 1906. Architects found that precast concrete could be detailed, colored, and textured to blend well with the old material and harmonize with other monumental buildings in the area.
A street level entrance accents the transition from old to new. The entrance leads into a commons area surrounded by walls of both old and new structures. Precast concrete cornices, pilasters, and column capitals were detailed for close resemblance to the old structure. Architectural precast columns frame the view into the atrium courtyard, where old and new portions of the Harvard Medical School Quadrangle join, providing a much needed commons area for students and faculty.