The annual Fastest Trowel on the Block competition, held Jan. 18, during the Mason Contractors Association of America Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas, drew a big audience to catch the fastest twenty minutes in masonry and see who would win the $8,000 grand prize.
The contest pits journeyman masons, accompanied by their favorite tender, against one another in a show of speed. Each contestant’s goal was to complete as much of a 30-foot long wall as possible, using 8”x8”x16” CMU and the provided mortar in a twenty minute heat. But speed alone won’t net the $8,000 check for first place. Contestants were also judged on craftsmanship, and use of normal masonry practices and hand tools.
Each mason worked quickly to build a quality wall, while the crowd cheered them on throughout the twenty minute competition. After the judges completed their scoring, the results were announced.
The top-placing contestants in this year’s competition were:
Fyffe Masonry & Plastering, Inc.
Tender: Roberto Patlan
Block Count: 119
This is the first time Gerardo Patlan has won the MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the Block competition.
Tender: Tomas Quinones Lopez
Block Count: 115
Jose Soto also placed second in the 2016 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block competition.
Jose Noe Martinez
Stone Cold Masonry
Tender: Heriberto Estrada
Block Count: 116
Jose Noe Martinez placed first in the 2016 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block competition.
Winners were presented with trophies, plus first place took home $8,000, a special trophy from Marshalltown, and a 10-pack of mortar boards from GATORBACK; second place received $2,500; and $1,500 was awarded to third place. Cash prizes were provided by SPEC MIX, Inc. All winners received a Marshalltown tool bag and tools, a gift certificate from STIHL, and additional prizes. All contestants received a level from competition sponsor Stabila and a GROUT GRUNT masonry scoop.
The MCAA would like to thank the judges from across the country for donating their time and expertise:
- Moroni Mejia, Echelon; Phoenix
- Greg Althammer, Airplaco; Cincinnati
- John Chrysler, Masonry Institute of America; Torrance, Calif.
- Robert Collins, Brick Mason Apprenticeship Local #4; Arcadia, Calif.
- Garen Graves, Oldcastle; Arlington, Texas
- Chick Hatton, Fraco USA; Havertown, Pa.
- Scott LaCaillade, WAL Masonry; Claremont, N.H.
- Giovanni LaFace, C&D LaFace Constructions; Syracuse, N.Y.
- Matt Marks, Gravevine Masonry Construction, Inc.; Norton, Ohio
- Cassie Mejia, Rhino Masonry; Gilbert, Ariz.
- Jack Ross, AZ Best Block; Phoenix
- Randall Rush, Rush Masonry Inc.; New Orleans
- Melvin Schwendeman, Lang Masonry & Restoration Contractors; Waterford, Ohio
- Ryan Shaver, ProBlock/Stalite; Salisbury N.C.
The MCAA also thanks the National Concrete Masonry Association and Stabila for sponsoring the MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the Block competition, and give a special thank you to the sponsors and service/material donors for their contributions including:
- National Concrete Masonry Association
- AZ Best Block
- GATORBACK, Inc.
- SPEC MIX, Inc.
- GATORBACK, Inc.
- GROUT GRUNT
- Marshalltown Company
- SPEC MIX, Inc.
- MCAA Strategic Partners
- EZG Manufacturing
- Federated Insurance
- Fraco Products, Ltd.
- Hohmann and Barnard, Inc.
- Hydro Mobile
- iQ Power Tools
- Kennison Forest Products, Inc.
- Mortar Net Solutions
- Non-Stop Scaffolding
- Pullman Ermator
- SPEC MIX Inc.
- Trademen’s Software Inc.
The 2018 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block will be held Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018, during the MCAA Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas.
For more information about the competition and to register, please visit here.