Claxton Smith & Sons Concrete Co. Inc., which does business locally as Smith Concrete, was founded by Claxton and Dorthy Smith with one truck and an office in 1948. The business grew steadily over the next 20 years until it moved to its current office and plant headquarters in Poca, W.Va. In early 2000 Smith Concrete purchased two other local producers to expand operations to include three plants and a fleet of over 30 vehicles, including front-discharge mixers, 6x6 AWD rear-discharge mixers, dump trucks, tankers, and other specialty vehicles.

Smith Concrete is a family-owned business. The reigns were passed to Jack and Patsy Smith in 2007. Then, in 2010, Jeff Smith began as vice president of operations. Over the last two years Smith Concrete has added a 52-inch conveyor discharge mixer, and a 5-yard mini-mixer for small jobs.

Smith Concrete now produces more than 50,000 yards of concrete per year and specializes in smaller contractors and homeowners. It also provides the largest variety of specialty truck solutions in West Virginia. Over the next few years Smith Concrete will expand its operations to do more work in state infrastructure, and other larger commercial, industrial, and government jobs.